Skip to main content

I've been accused of posting a threat on Facebook, a detective wants 'my side of the story'. Should I talk to them?

San Diego, CA |

If I consult an attorney, will it seem like I'm admitting that the threat was serious? (It wasn't meant to be taken seriously). I have been avoiding the police for now, can I be charged anyway? What happens in that situation?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


This is an easy answer: You should always hire an attorney to interact with the authorities. They have the experience you lack and know when the cops are lying.

You may want to discuss your situation with a lawyer in more detail. Most lawyers on Avvo offer a free phone consultation. Look for an attorney on avvo in your locale.

This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to you. This general information is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction. The attorney client relationship is not established by this post.


Your statement could be used against you. If you don't talk to them, it might be based solely on the one witness or even worse upset the investigating officer. I recommend contacting an attorney.

This is not a comprehensive answer and it is impossible to provide a meaningful response without a consultation. Call us for more information. 619.797.5456


I agree with my colleagues: You should retain a lawyer ASAP.

Retaining a lawyer is the prudent thing to do - it is not an admission of guilt.

This information does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.


Do not admit or deny any facts to the officer. Be cordial and say the following: "I would like to assist you, but on the advice of my attorney I'm not allowed to speak to you without him present." Repeat that on every question. Don't be fooled by the IP address tracing. It is very difficult for police agencies to prosecute these cases for many legal reasons. Too many attorneys don't know what they are doing in these matters, and I end up getting the appeals because I have had over 30 years in computer forensics and law. Many reputable Internet attorneys offer a free consultation so give them a call. Good luck.

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer