Skip to main content

I've been a resident since 01/08/09. How long is it till I can take the citizen ship?

Tulsa, OK |
Filed under: Immigration

I've been a resident since 01/08/09. How long is it till I can take the citizen ship?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. You can apply once you have been a permanent resident for at least four years and nine months, assuming you meet all the other requirements.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  2. Youngest have your residency for five years unless married to a United States citizen or on active duty in the military in which case the time period is three years.

    The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

  3. If you have been married to a U.S. Citizen since the day you became a permanent resident, then you are eligible to become a U.S. Citizen 3 years after the date you became a permanent resident. Otherwise, 5 years.

    You may submit your application as early as 3 months prior to the 3- or 5-year anniversary.

    (734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

  4. 4 years and 9 months after acquiring permanent residency. 2 years and 9 months if you got residency through marriage to a US citizen and you are still married

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics