I've been scammed by a contractor what can I do?

Asked about 2 years ago - White Plains, NY

I'm embarrassed to say that I hired a contractor from craigslist to do my kitchen cabinets and countertops he came to the house and we signed a contract, after paying $4600 in cash deposit which was Hugh mistake he gave us the run around and was hard to reach, we eventually found him and he was upset that we even looked for him he said he will call us to schedule installation, after not hearing from him for few days and reading online that he scammed people in the same way we asked for our money back, he replied by email that we cancelled the contract and we lost our deposit and wrote take me to court hahaha,
Needless to say he doesn't have license but after going to police and consumer affairs and been turned down we are at lost, he is a criminal so what can I do at this point?
Thank you

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

Answered . It is disappointing that the police won't make an arrest. Try the District Attorney's Office. You can sue in small claims court and win - assuming you know where to serve him - but will then have to collect a judgment.

2. Roman Tabatchouk

Pro

Answered . It is surprising and disappointing that the police will not investigate. I would also try the district attorney, contact your local media (newspaper/television channel) and see if they will run a story on this. There are investigative reporters interested in these types of issues and if these becomes more public, the police may eventually investigate.

As for the money you lost, I would sue the contractor for it. I would be floored if you did not get a judgment in your favor based on the facts you gave us above.

3. Robert John Murillo

Answered . You will have to sue in small claims (if this is under the small claims amount). That said, this will likely give you nothing. If he is fraud getting a judgment will mean little other than having a judgment on record. You still have to collect and you may get nothing.

Sorry about the problems. Contact the local court about small claims and see if you want to pursue that but understand you may never get a penny back.