I used to work with a false SSN, was then accepted for DACA's work permit; how do I file my taxes?

Asked 3 months ago - Memphis, TN

Before DACA, I used to work with a false SSN. As soon as my DACA application was accepted and I received my work permit, I got a new job and started working with my new SSN (the real one). Tax season is now here and I'm not sure weather I can/should report the W2 form for my previous job. Last year, when I reported my taxes, I reported them with an ITIN number, not a SSN. This year, I will be reporting with my SSN and the W2 for my new job. But, I am not sure if I should also report the W2 for the job I worked with a fake SSN and a fake residential card.

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

Answered . You should talk to an accountant or CPA about this.

2. Pamela Williams Kelly

1

Answered . I suggest that you contact a tax preparer that may be familiar with your situation. While there are many tax preparers this time of the year, I encourage you to find one that has a focus on undocumented clients as a specialty area. I have worked with such a business before with my clients and they were happy with the results.
    --PWK

3. Gerald P. Goulder

Pro

2

Answered . I agree this is a tax issue, and may need to be resolved with an accountant. However, I have some concerns about the "false" SSN. If it was a SSN that has been issued to another person, there could be identity theft circumstances involved. If you applied for DACA with the assistance of an immigration attorney, you should discuss implications of using the false SSN with him/her. If not, then just appreciate that the SSN you previously used--the "false" SSN--may have actually been assigned to and belonged to someone else, and your use of that SSN could have consequences for the "true holder" of that SSN.