I use my home address as my business address on incorporation and EIN, what problems will arise and what issues should i expect?

Philadelphia, PA |

I want to make sure that i don't need to file anything on my taxes. Since i'm incorporated i know my personal things are not under attack but since my home is being used as a business address does this then put it under attack? What else should i expect by using my home address as the business physical location for my non profit.

Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey or Federal law applies, unless otherwise specified.

That being said, your question is unclear - regardless of whether you have to pay income tax or not, your business has to file at the very least an informational return telling the IRS what profits and losses occurred and what monies were distributed, if any. If by 'attack' you are indicating that a taxing entity, such as the IRS, is pursuing tax claims against you or your business, you should speak with a tax attorney ASAP. Your use of your home address does not make your home a business asset that can be seized to pay debts of your business, but there are a number of tax and other implications that are too complex to answer in a forum like AVVO. You should speak with a business and tax attorney to review this issues.

If you would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact me at the below address(es) or telephone number.

/Christopher E. Ezold/

The Ezold Law Firm, P.C.
Employment, Business and Health Law
One Belmont Avenue, Suite 501
Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
(610) 660-5585
Cezold@Ezoldlaw.com
www.ezoldlaw.com

Answered 8 months ago. Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, New Jersey or Federal law apply, unless otherwise specified. /Christopher E. Ezold/ The Ezold Law Firm, P.C. One Belmont Avenue, Suite 501 Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004 (610) 660-5585 Cezold@Ezoldlaw.com www.ezoldlaw.com

Whether you use your home address as you office or not does not affect your obligations to file returns with the IRS, PA Department of State and Philadelphia tax authority.

I do not think there is any increased liability or risks in using your home address for business purposes. This assumes that the local zoning law permits you to use your house for business purposes.

Not really sure what you mean by "under attack." Your tax obligations are the same as would be if you had a true business office. And having your home address so readily available violates your privacy. I would at least get a post office box.

I am an attorney in Pennsylvania but I am not currently *your* attorney. Nothing in my communication should be construed as creating an attorney/client relationship. Please contact me if you wish to retain me as your counsel.

Tax law topics