I unknowingly backed into a parked car - I received a ticket for leaving the scene of an accident. How can I keep my license?

Asked over 1 year ago - Red Bank, NJ

No one was in the other car so there were no injuries. I hadn't realized what happened and when I returned the police were there. He ticketed me for careless driving, leaving the scene of an accident and not report an accident. I have a clean driving record (no points, no accidents, no tickets). I can't afford to lose my license or my husband and I will have no way to work. How can I keep my license?

1. Robert W Rubinstein

Pro

6

1

Answered . Since the matter involves a parked car and no one was hurt, it is very unlikely that you will lose your license. Practically, you should hire an attorney who appears in municipal court to assist you. The attorney will most likely be able to have the matter resolved by you pleading guilty to the Failure to Report and Accident which is no points. Depending on your driving record and other factors, the prosecutor may require that you plead guilty to the careless driving. Typically, your attorney can get that reduced to a no point ticket as well.

Pro

5

Answered . Retain a good local traffic court lawyer in Red Bank to fight it.

3. John George Ducey

4

Answered . You should hire an attorney to handle the matter. Plea negotiations can take place and it helps that you have such a clean driving record.

John Ducey
    732-458-5600

4. Sean Michael Patrick

3

1

Answered . You will need to look at the language of the statutes you were cited for. Then determine how you can prove that the language doesn't apply to you. This may be difficult in the case of laws that are considered "strict liablity" in that you did not have to know anything, you simply had to perform the act in order to be guilty. Alternatively, if the statutes have language of intent (i.e. knowingly, recklessly, intentionally, etc.), you may be able to show with testimony that you were not guilty of that element. Best of luck.

5. Arthur Collin Cherry

3

Answered . You need to hire an attorney to go over the specifics of your accident. Was the leaving the scene of an accident a civil or criminal charge? It does not sound like you had knowledge of the accident. What does the physical evidence suggest. Were there any witnesses? What did you tell the officer? You really need to get an experienced attorney to look at all the evidence and give you a confidential assessment of your case.

6. Matthew C Simon

Pro

1

Answered . You need to hire an experienced attorney to review the paper discovery and make the appropriate motions. An experience attorney may also be able to get you a favorable plea agreement. Many attorneys such as myself offer a free 30 minute consultation. Good luck.

7. Michael Shemtoub

2

Answered . You need to get a copy of the police report and contact a local attorney to protect your rights.