I understand my auto policy PIP will pay bulk of my medical bills for treatment from my auto accident-who pays the balance?

Asked about 1 year ago - Princeton, NJ

My health insurance from work has a high deductible. So am I personally responsible for the deductible + all the co-payments that the auto policy doesn't cover, until I meet my health insurance deductible? Accident was NOT my fault, does the other driver's policy pay for my out of pocket expenses for my treatments, since it was his fault? How do I get compensated?

injured... will need PT.
lawsuit threshold applies.

1. Scott Ivan Fegley

18

1

Answered . Any medical expenses that are not paid by the PIP insurer and are not covered by your health insurance can be submitted as damages in your case against the other driver. You should also be aware that your health insurance company can assert a lien against your lawsuit recovery for the amount of the medical expenses it pays. Your attorney must be aware of that and take that into consideration in the settlement of your case.

2. Raymond Andrew Grimes

Pro

16

1

Answered . You did not state whether you're filing a personal injury claim. if you are not filing a personal injury claim, they may agree to pay them right away, but they will ask you for release of any and all claims against their insured. If you are filing a personal injury claim, they will not pay those bills right away. That would be part of your claim, along with pain and suffering, lost wages and possibly other issues depending upon your particular case. I hope this helps.

Pro

12

Answered . You did not state whether you were injured, and whether you have no limitation option on your policy.

4. Yolanda Navarrete

10

Answered . The balance/ co-pay is usually paid from what you recover from other vehicle.

5. Matthew C Simon

Pro

9

Answered . Depending upon the extent of your injuries and treatment, you may also be entitled to pain and suffering. You should seek a free consultation with an experienced personal injury attorney ASAP. Many attorneys, such as myself, work on contingency (you pay no money unless you win). Good luck.

6. John Robert Gorman

6

1

Best Answer

Answered . If your PIP (auto) coverage is primary to health insurance, all of your bills get run through PIP first. PIP will apply the deductible that you chose (lowest $250; options are $500, $750, $100, $1500; and $2500---NOT recommended), and then apply a 20% co-pay to bills above the deductible. The PIP deductible and co-pays are then run through your health insurance, attaching the PIP explanation of benefits form and a copy of the bill to prove to health insurance that your auto carrier has considered the bill If you have high health insurance deductible, the unpaid medical bills can be paid from your injury settlement. If your injuries will not satisfy the "verbal threshold," sometimes the other driver's insurance carrier will pay them, just to close the file. You must be sure, however, that your injuries will never satisfy the "verbal threshold" before you ask the other insurance company to pay your out of pocket medical bills, because that insurance company will want you to sign an "any and all claims" release, which mean that you can never sue for your injuries.

7. Zlata Rudikh

8

Answered . Please clarify if you were injured as a result of this crash and your policy selection with regard to your tort option, (i.e. Limitation on Lawsuit or Zero Tort) However, please note that if you have not opened and are not pursuing a personal injury claim, the insurance company in many cases agrees to pay if you release any and all claims against their insured. If you are pursuing a personal injury claim, said bills will be part of your claim among other factors. Good Luck.

8. Joshua Kyle Givner

5

Answered . In addition to the above, your out-of-pocket co-pays/deductibles constitute an economic loss. These deductibles and co-pays are recoverable, but may not be covered by insurance.

Please be advised my answers to your question does not constitute legal advice and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met and I have not discussed the facts of your case with you in detail.

9. Joseph Monaco

2

Answered . The answer to your question depends on many factors but as a general rule your personal health insurance can pay bills above your PIP limits. Whether you can collect unpaid bills against the driver that needlessly injured you is more complex. You should consult with a lawyer. I would be more than happy to speak with you for a free consultation. 609-277-3166, http://www.josephmonacotriallawyer.com