I undecided if I should hire an attorney or not. Can I elect to choose my own attorney at the Family Court Hearing?

Asked about 2 months ago - Westbury, NY

Or will the Court assign me one automatically from the standby pool?

1. Louis Lawrence Sternberg

Pro

1

Answered . If you are entitled to court-appointed counsel, the court will give you Legal Aid, or if there is a conflict, an 18B attorney. You will not be permitted to choose the attorney if you are appointed counsel.

Please understand though that there are financial requirements before the court will appoint you an attorney. Discuss the matter with the judge and the Legal Aid screening office.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

1

Answered . If you qualify for appointed counsel you get who the Judge assigns. If you hire a lawyer who can pick.

3. Edwin Drantivy

Pro

1

Answered . Most likely yes, unless the Court appoints one in which case you cannot choose your preference.