I tried to find an attorney for my employment case.

Asked 8 months ago - Jacksonville, FL

However, they charged 45% contingency fees, plus administrative fees. How attorney determine the fees amount? Is it too much to retain an attorney on a 45% contingency basis or should I find a different attorney?

1. Aseal F Morghem

Pro

2

Answered . Was this a worker's compensation case or another type of employment law? Did you agree already to this high contingency fee? Normally, anything in excess of 40% must be waived by you and sometimes only with the court's consent. There should have been a disclosure of your rights in this agreement. If you have already signed this agreement and it is questionable whether the 45% is reasonable, your first attorney will still retain a lien of a certain amount. This is regardless of you obtaining new counsel. Your new attorney will have to review what you signed before with your first attorney. This attorney will be in a better position to advise you as to what was reasonable to charge and what your specific remedies are with this first agreement. Good luck.

2. Robert P Garven

2

Answered . The best way to find an attorney is to get a recommendation from someone that you know who has had a positive experience with an attorney that he has hired. That attorney may well be able to recommend someone if he cannot handle the matter himself. Alternatively, you may contact the Florida Bar and request the name of attorneys in your geography who work in that particular area of law. As for fees, you may wish to speak to different attorneys in order to get a feel for what the "going rate" is .

3. Carl Andrew Botterud

2

Answered . The National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA) is an organization of lawyers who represent employees. Here is the link to their "Find a Lawyer" list where you can search by state and/or subject matter. http://exchange.nela.org/findalawyer

4. C. Donald Briggs III

Pro

Answered . Use the Avvo "Find a Lawyer" section to find an attorney in your area.