I took my son on a cruise to Mexico and I didn't think to tell my ex-husband. Texas. Can he file contempt and i be penalized?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Weatherford, TX

my divorce decree requires 21 day notification but it was a last minute decision when my current husband didn't go, I took my 7-year old son in his place. My ex is threatening to take my son away from me because I didn't notify him that we were going out of the country.

1. Christopher Jay Harding

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . You can be penalized, but the court taking your son away is pretty harsh and unlikely to happen unless this is something you do all the time. You might get fined or have to give him make-up time, which is reasonable. More likely your husband is just threatening you. If he files, hire an attorney. Otherwise, blow him off and follow the decree going forward.

2. M Elizabeth Gunn

Answered . Mr. Hardng's advice is accurate--it's unlikely that your custody arrangement would be changed for that alone. If he's threatening that, appearing to cave in may not be a good idea, but you know the man better than we do: do you think it might help to offer a sincere apology and perhaps say you'll give him the next weekend or holiday of his choice that he otherwise wouldn't get to spend with your son to make up for this?