I took my service dog in a PetCo in city limits and he was attacked by a pit bull with a light injury. Can I require video surv?

Asked 10 months ago - Olympia, WA

I took my well behaved, friendly service dog in a PetCo in city limits and he was attacked by a pit bull with a light injury (cut on his mouth). Can I require video surveillance to find out who the owner is? I didn't get their license plate. One of the store trainers said it was my fault for letting my dog get close to his, but this was in a line, so unavoidable. I filed a complaint with corporate.

1. Shawn B Alexander

Pro

Answered . I agree with the previous answer and the liability will be contested , but if the store wants to avoid liability you should put them on notice to preserve the evidence, if any.
    Good Luck

2. Keith G Langer

1

1

Answered . You may request a copy of the videotape, IF there was one and IF Petco has not overtaped or destroyed it. However, you cannot compel production absent a lawsuit.

Whether that is worthwhile is a function of how badly your dog was hurt. You have said nothing about that.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.