I took a plea under the first offender act for a felony drug charge. Am I still eligible for food stamps in Georgia?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Conyers, GA

To be eligible for food stamps in Georgia you can't be convictedof a felony drug charge. Since I took a plea under the first offender act for a felony drug charge in Georgia, am I eligible for food stamps in Georgia?

1. Michael Jason Rhoades

1

Answered . While you are on First Offender probation, there is no conviction. If you successfully complete the probation, there will never be a conviction entered. Therefore, you should still be eligible unless and until you get the First Offender status revoked.

2. Joshua Mark Geller

Answered . When you take a First Offender plea, most judges will say something like "You can honestly tell employers (and GA Dept of Human Services) that you've never been convicted of this crime". Do well on probation and you should be fine.

3. Morris Hugh Wiltshire Jr.

Pro

Answered . Once you successfully complete probation and receive a first offender discharge you will not have a conviction on your record in Georgia and the case should not effect your benefit eligibility.