I told my girlfriend that if she ever breaks up with me, I am posting naked pictures of her on the internet. Is that legal?

Asked 7 months ago - San Diego, CA

I told my girlfriend that if she ever breaks up with me, I am posting naked pictures of her on the internet. Is that legal? She let me take the pictures of herself.

1. Oscar Michelen

11

Answered . It could very well be illegal under California's new "Revenge Porn" law passed in October of this year. In addition, depending on where you place them and/or how you use them, they may violate California's very strict right to privacy/right to publicity laws. Finally, it is a morally reprehensible thing to do and a very crappy way (for lack of a better legal term) to maintain a rleationship - but that's not really legal advice, just my opinion. In short, don't do it.

The answers given are informational only and do not constitute legal advice.
  2. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

9

Answered . There was a young man that believed he could do the same thing. Subsequently he was arrested by the FBI for harassment. He spent over $40,000 for a trial attorney and lost. He then retained my services for his appeal. The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals heard oral arguments on July 2. Client is currently in jail waiting for the Ninth Circuit's ruling. So I will let you know as soon as I find out. In the meantime prepare to be arrested and jailed if you do post the pictures.

3. Andrew Mark Jaffe

Pro

9

Answered . The scenario you posted above is the very definition of blackmail which could send you to prison for a very long time.

This is not a good idea and a morally outrageous act.

4. Ripal Patel

7

Answered . This would be illegal. And would subject you to some serious liability and possible prison time.

5. Rixon Charles Rafter III

8

Answered . No.

Now, you have by this post helped make the case against you easier to prove as you posted your own statement against interest in an open public forum that she ( or authorities) could tie to you and use against you.

6. Pardis Patrick Ashouri

6

Answered . Why would you not want to respect your "self proclaimed" girlfriend's right to her privacy And be potentially subject to sever consequences (Shooting oneself in the foot)

To have any doubts about her privacy is socially, morally and legally very questionable and to post a question on a public forum( legal Q&A) Is incomprehensible and if intended as a joke, it is as inappropriate and reprehensible as what is described.

The only thing to do is to again read and follow excellent responses above by other colleagues and I couldn't add anything else in this legal forum.

7. Michael Elliott Rubinstein

6

Answered . Bad idea. You might find the following article helpful; it's long, but it should illustrate to you that "revenge porn" is a growing problem in today's social media society. Angry ex-boyfriends are finding themselves in legal hot water by doing what you told your girlfriend you would do. In short--don't do it.http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/article/vict...

8. Brian Curtis Pascale

Pro

1

Answered . You seem like a treat. Why wouldn't she want to stay with you forever!