I titled a car and a mobile home in my name for family friend,(he has no s.s. because he is undocumented)now he is incarcerated.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Indianapolis, IN

He paid cash for both.We had a verbal agreement that he would remove my name once he found a way to do so,I was lead to believe by him I was removed from the title of the mobile home.Now he is in jail.I have the car,so it didn't get impounded,what are my ptions for the mobile home so i am not stuck with any liability.There is a no contact order in place,which complicates matters.Since I did this in good faith,there are no contacts or anything in writing(other than both are title and registered and insured in my name).Also if I take ownership of the mobile home,what do i do with his belongings?

I am not doing this to gain anything moneywise,or even as revenge(since he is incarcerated for "allgedly"abusing my daughter)but i do have to protect my interests.The lot rent is accruing monthly,I am financially not able at this time to retain a lawyer.I am looking into legal aid,but i want to go into this informed.thanks in advance for your help!I thought it might be useful to mention also he has a cash bond and an ice hold(so it is my understanding he will be deported also)

1. Pamela Koslyn

1

1

Answered . That's much easier to read.

The terms of your oral contract control and it doesn't matter, although oral contracts are harder to prove than written ones, that you didn't bother putting anything in writing.

If the car and mobile home belong to him, so do those vehicles' debts for implounding and storage, and you have to honor your part of the deal to put them in his name "once he finds a way to do so," whatever that means. If your oral contract didn't address his incarceration and your continuing duty to keep these vehicles in your name, a court would impute a duty to act reasonably and in accordance with the parties' intent. If that's vague, that's the result of not having a written contract that spells out the parties' respective rights and obligations.