I think the home and the doctor are tampering with my deceased mom's medical records. Is this common with nursing home neglect?

Asked 12 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

The nursing home is stalling giving me my deceased mom's medical records. My mom's doctor is also the nursing home medical director. What can I do to counter this to get my mom's true medical records?

1. William Michael Berman

Pro

4

1

Answered . In California, skilled nursing facilities (nursing homes) are required to give the designated responsible party of the resident a complete copy of the patient's chart upon request. The facility has the right to charge for the copying, however, release of the records cannot be denied. If the facility will not release the records, an attorney can file an action with the Superior Court just to obtain the records. If the facility forces such action to be taken, the Petitioner will generally recover the costs and attorneys fees associated with filing such action.

2. Jonathan David Marx

Pro

6

Answered . My suggestion is to speak with an attorney and have them obtain the records from the provider, hopefully the attorney will be able to discern if there was record tampering.

3. Jeffrey Mark Adams

5

1

Answered . Regrettably, tampering with records does occur. If you are contemplating legal action you should consult/retain legal counsel. A qualified attorney will get the records and can discern if the records were "doctored". Soory for your loss.

Pro

4

Answered . Have a local lawyer get the records, and if they were tampered with, there is spoliation

5. Ajay Mohan Kwatra

Pro

2

Answered . You should discuss the situation with an attorney as soon as possible.