I think my wife has filed a VAWA petition, she has a police report against her for assulting me.

San Antonio, TX |

My Immigrant wife attacked me and is (i think) trying to file a VAWA claim, after looking at instructions to do this she will not even need the police report just some pictures and a couple of statements. Not even a divorce decree is needed ( now I see why there is so much fraud). If my lying wife petition is approved and we divorce, what happens to me, what will the government do to me? Instructions look like the proof that is required is very minimal and she will get permanet status based on a lie. Can she really get LPR if there is no police report and no divorce decree saying there is no domestic violence? If so how may I stop her from getting LPR? I am sure she lied to USCIS. Is there a way I can get anything put into the file if so will it even be taken seriously?

See my answer on your previous question. The attorneys there gave you very good advice on this same question. Good luck.

www.gassonlaw.com - Disclaimer: This a general answer to your legal question. Unless you have a signed engagement letter with me, you should not consider this information to be legal advice.

Kristina thank you for your answer however, If she does get this claim ( at this point I am gald she is leaving my life) But what will be said if you take a foriegn service exam (which I plan to take) what are is long range damage done on my life if she does get this claim. I realize I can get in court and show police report but I am very concerned about my future, if by chance I meet another woman from another country (you never know). I am now very worried about employers checking my background and a black mark on a permanet record with the federal government as I have done nothing wrong what are the result long term ( do you think can happen)

This why I want to block her claim so badly, I have worked very hard to maintain a good record and have been honest my whole likfe and I am concerned this person could damage me in the long run. Also will USCIS take any comments and statements from people seriously at all?

Kristina A. Gasson

Kristina A. Gasson

You should have no issues taking the foreign service exam. In addition, if you have no criminal record (just her making accusations against you) it shouldn't affect your future employment at all. You MAY, however, have more difficulty if you remarry and want to apply for a green card for your new wife but if you hire an attorney to represent you, it is not impossible. Short answer, send a letter to USCIS if you are concerned that she is accusing you of domestic violence, so that you are on record with your story. This will protect you in the future.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME

I agree with my colleague. You owe it to yourself to contact a lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on Avvo.com are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.

I agree with my colleagues.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.