Skip to main content

I think my wife has filed a VAWA petition, she has a police report against her for assulting me.

San Antonio, TX |

My Immigrant wife attacked me and is (i think) trying to file a VAWA claim, after looking at instructions to do this she will not even need the police report just some pictures and a couple of statements. Not even a divorce decree is needed ( now I see why there is so much fraud). If my lying wife petition is approved and we divorce, what happens to me, what will the government do to me? Instructions look like the proof that is required is very minimal and she will get permanet status based on a lie. Can she really get LPR if there is no police report and no divorce decree saying there is no domestic violence? If so how may I stop her from getting LPR? I am sure she lied to USCIS. Is there a way I can get anything put into the file if so will it even be taken seriously?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. See my answer on your previous question. The attorneys there gave you very good advice on this same question. Good luck. - Disclaimer: This a general answer to your legal question. Unless you have a signed engagement letter with me, you should not consider this information to be legal advice.

  2. I agree with my colleague. You owe it to yourself to contact a lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues. Good luck to you.

    Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700

    Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.

  3. I agree with my colleagues.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics