Skip to main content

I think my roommate stole my debit card info and used it online for $3,000 purchase.

Laurel, MD |
Filed under: Fraud

BUT I had no evidence to it. I did not check my statement for long time because I was in Canada. Now I'm back to Maryland but its being about 70 days...What can I do about that? Is filing a bank report enough to catch him? Or do I have to file a police report?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The wise thing for you to do is to immediately contact your bank and report all the facts to them, and immediately contact the police and report all the facts to them, and then get a copy of the police report, and give a copy to the bank (make sure you keep your own copy). It is possible that when your bank follows up on the debit card use, they might be able to pinpoint who used the card, and if they can, then that information will help you to recover your money from the perpetrator. Whatever you do, don't go accusing your roommate to his face or to anyone but the police and the bank. Get the facts straight, otherwise you might unwisely end up accusing the wrong person. Thieves are good at stealing things in such a way that another person appears to be the perpetrator. On the other hand, some thieves are stupid enough to be the obvious culprit. Thievery is stupid and foolish regardless of whether or not the thief does so intelligently or not. Act quickly, do not delay even for a day.

This is NOT legal advice, is GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, does NOT establish Attorney/Client Relationship because you have not retained me and because you have not provided me with a COMPLETE set of all the FACTS in your legal situation. Therefore my answer cannot address your specific legal situation and you should not rely upon my answer in your legal matter. This answer is merely provided to assist you in beginning your own research or in finding an attorney to represent you. I am an attorney licensed in Maryland and California. A Consultation, Retainer and a fully signed and dated Legal Services Agreement (a contract) will be required if you would like to obtain my representation. Office: (410) 381-1656. David Mahood, Esq.



Thx a lot!! But how would the bank pinpoint the perpetrator if he/she does not use my card card is already cancelled/



And I am facing my final all I did was contact my bank, I think file a police report would be kinda complicated and would mess up my final...I'm afraid to be distracted but so confused dont know what to do...

David Raymond Mahood

David Raymond Mahood


You are right that talking to the police could distract you from studying for your final exams. Been there, done that. At some point, as soon as you possibly can, make sure you file a police report.


My colleague is correct. File a police report AND contact the bank.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer