I think my roommate stole my debit card info and used it online for $3,000 purchase.

Asked over 1 year ago - Laurel, MD

BUT I had no evidence to it. I did not check my statement for long time because I was in Canada. Now I'm back to Maryland but its being about 70 days...What can I do about that? Is filing a bank report enough to catch him? Or do I have to file a police report?

1. David Raymond Mahood

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . The wise thing for you to do is to immediately contact your bank and report all the facts to them, and immediately contact the police and report all the facts to them, and then get a copy of the police report, and give a copy to the bank (make sure you keep your own copy). It is possible that when your bank follows up on the debit card use, they might be able to pinpoint who used the card, and if they can, then that information will help you to recover your money from the perpetrator. Whatever you do, don't go accusing your roommate to his face or to anyone but the police and the bank. Get the facts straight, otherwise you might unwisely end up accusing the wrong person. Thieves are good at stealing things in such a way that another person appears to be the perpetrator. On the other hand, some thieves are stupid enough to be the obvious culprit. Thievery is stupid and foolish regardless of whether or not the thief does so intelligently or not. Act quickly, do not delay even for a day.

2. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

Answered . My colleague is correct. File a police report AND contact the bank.