Skip to main content

I think my rights were violated by DCF and The sheriffs office.

Brooksville, FL |

I had Dcf come to investigate. The sheriffs officer and Dcf agent badgered everyone, trying to get them to change their answers. My mother and I asked for a Lawyer for my child who is 4, they told us to leave or we would be arrested for impeding an investigation. they wouldn't let us have a lawyer, record any interview or read the paper work we were signing. I NEED HELP! I don't want to be in trouble for something that is not occurring and i have no one to protect me and my family.

Attorney Answers 2


They are allowed to talk to your child without you present. You do not ever have to sign anything, whether you read it or not. You don't have to agree to anything that DCF asks you to do, except allow them to interview your child and make sure that your child is safe. If your child were to be removed from your home, you would be entitled to a shelter hearing within twenty four hours, and appointment of an attorney if you could not afford one (even though dependency actions are not criminal actions). You are also entitled to hire an attorney to help you understand the process at any time. Make sure you get an attorney familiar with the dependency process, not just a general family law attorney. Dependency cases are a whole different statute than divorce cases.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree




Yes I understand that. But per their own sheet of rights I had the right to hire a lawyer to be there while I couldn't. My problem is that not even 5 mins before they tried to make a 7 yr old change his answer by leading him. So I don't know what they might or might not have led my child into saying at 4 yrs old. They also said we had the right to let us record our interviews but wouldn't let us. They also harassed me a pregnant woman in her 3rd trimester til I went into early labor.

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Rixon Charles Rafter III


Hire a lawyer immediately.


Contact my office for free consultation 727-446-7659.

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics