I think I was being harassed and targeted because of my race.

I worked at a computer/sales agency about 2 years ago. Since the day I began to work there, the managers daughter was always harassing me, yelling at me & always trying to humiliate me infront of everyone else. On my first week there she took us into an immediate meeting because she wanted to talk about the RR making it obvious it was about me! Every girl in the meeting was 'white' & I was the only Hispanic she stated that she has heard that in "Mexico" they don't have flushing toilets so maybe this person in question didn't know we flush in America. The last straw was them (mngr & daughter) harassing my friend into letting them log into her Facebook to see if i was actually sick & they called my Dr. On speaker phone to ask them personal questions about me. So many more situations!.

You said you worked at the agency two years ago. When did you leave employment with the company? I ask because your claim might be barred from the statute of limitations. You generally need to file your complaint within one year of an adverse employment action. We would need to know your termination date in order to evaluate your case.

Yes I only worked there for 3 months so my last day there was in January 2011

Neville Francis Fernandes

Neville Francis Fernandes

I'm afraid the time limit for filing a discrimination or harassment claim would have expired. If you had any wage and payroll issues then you may still be able to bring a claim for that. For instance, if they didn't pay you your final wages on your termination date then you might have a claim.

Michael Robert Kirschbaum

Michael Robert Kirschbaum

While it is true that a statutory claim for racial discrimination or harassment must be filed with the California Dept. of Fair Employment and Housing, within one year of the last adverse action, a wrongful termination complaint for violation of public policy, based on race may be filed within 2 years of the effective date of the termination. That date may not have occurred yet. But for all practical purposes, it is unlikely you will be able to find a lawyer to accept the case at this late date.

Wow. What a rude thing to say!

I would suggest that you contact a lawyer here on Avvo.com or celaweb.org., for a free consultation. Discrimination and harassment claims usually require a lawyer's analysis

It is unclear from your summary whether or not you were fired.

David Mallen

David A. Mallen offers answers on Avvo for general information only. This offer of free, general answers is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. If you need specific advice regarding your legal question, you should consult an attorney confidentially. Many experienced California labor and employment attorneys, including David A. Mallen offer no-risk legal consultations to employers and employees at no charge. David A. Mallen is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, as well as the California Labor Commissioner and the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board. Failure to take legal action within the time periods prescribed by law could result in the loss of important legal rights and remedies.

Thank you. I pretty much was before returning to work he told my friend to tell me not to come back. I didn't want to deal with it. Everyone there is somehow related.

David Andrew Mallen

David Andrew Mallen

If this just happened, consider writing to the employer to confirm that you were told not to come back, and ask for the reason for your termination.

Call an employment law attorney. Compile all your facts with dates, who said/did what, etc. Many of us offer a free initial phone consultation and take cases like yours at no cost to you. 949-481-6909. It is unlawful to discriminate against an employee because of his or her race or to harass someone due to their race if the harassment is either severe or pervasive. It is improper to ask your doctor personal questions about you and it would have been unlawful for your doctor to answer personal questions about you.