I think I am going to be served by a process server..

Asked over 1 year ago - Schenectady, NY

Someone filled me in that I am going to be "sued"
I don't have a "permanent address" so I am about to leave my area for another one. and hide out.. How long can I hide out in an area several hundred miles away before this expires and then I can come back..

If I cannot be served and I am not in my area to see it, then they have no grounds for me to go to answer for it..

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

1

Answered . You can be served by the papers being given to a person of suitable age and discretion at your actual dwelling place or office. Avoiding service might not be a good idea. If the process server can't serve you the plaintifff can make an ex-parte motion for permission to serve you by alternative means such as publication in a newspaper. When you fail to answer (because you didn't see it in the paper), the plaintiff then can seek a default judgment against you. Perhaps it is better ot face the lawsuit.

2. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

Answered . Answer depends on when the statute of limitation will expire. If it does not run for a while, them as the other responders answered you are running the risk of losing by not knowing about the case. If the statute is about expire, then your strategy may make sense. See a local lawyer to help you evaluate your best option.

3. Rixon Charles Rafter III

Answered . Eventually, the Plaintiff couldl get a judgment against you if there is a case to be had. No point in hiding out, it will only delay, by a matter of weeks, the process.