I taught a drug dealer how to sell drugs but I never helped him sell any drugs. Did I commit a crime?

Rockville, MD |

Perhaps. An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you evaluate the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to go to trial. Consider seeking a confidential consultation.

Information in the reply is provided as a public service. It is neither a comprehensive statement of the law nor legal advice, and no one should rely on it as such. If you have a legal problem or question, you should consult with an attorney, who can investigate the particular circumstances of your situation. Responding to a post does not constitute legal representation. I am not your lawyer, until we make an agreement and I receive my fee. Beware that posts and replies are not confidential. Anyone can read them.

I agree, it depends on the level of your involvement with the teaching. If you assisted an ongoing criminal enterprise then you have some criminal exposure. I also agree you need to contact a criminal defense attorney in your area to discuss your situation.

Possibly conspiracy.

What the "lessons" included will determine your exposure. Do not post any additional detail in this public forum. Your concern can be addressed within a privileged interview with an experienced drug defense lawyer.

Of course, every answer or response is based on the information provided in the question asked and requires a much more complete context than is available in this public forum. This answer/response should NOT be relied upon to make any legal decisions. Seek the advice of an experienced Federal and/or state criminal defense attorney in your jurisdiction BEFORE you say or do anything.

Most likely, unless all you did was make general statements. If you are in a jam, follow the advice of my colleagues and hire a lawyer.

The response I have provided is general in nature, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. My practice is based in Rhode Island, and the law and practice in other states or jurisdictions may be different.

Federal crime topics