Skip to main content

I suspect my rental property has been abandoned by the tenant. What steps do I need to take to re-key the property legally?

Van Nuys, CA |

My tenant prepaid rent for several months, however I received a notice today that the property appears to be vacant and a notice from the DWP that utilities have been shut off. This is a problem because the tenant is responsible for watering plants and maintaining the property. I did not get a response from my tenant so I peeked through the window and the unit is, in fact, vacant.

Can I go in and re-key/re-lease or do I need to post notices/due diligence as she has already paid for rent through the end of this month?

Attorney Answers 1

  1. Has possession been returned to you? Has the tenant informed you before leaving? Generally, you may give a notice of abandonment to effectuate a quicker return of the property. I suggest you speak to an attorney to help with this process.

    This response is not intended, nor should it be construed as legal advice. Any information provided is for educational purposes only. The exchange of communications through and similar social media does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me or my office. To schedule an appointment for an attorney-client privileged consultation, contact me at 909-860-0342. Thank you.

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics