I suspect my rental property has been abandoned by the tenant. What steps do I need to take to re-key the property legally?

Asked over 1 year ago - Van Nuys, CA

My tenant prepaid rent for several months, however I received a notice today that the property appears to be vacant and a notice from the DWP that utilities have been shut off. This is a problem because the tenant is responsible for watering plants and maintaining the property. I did not get a response from my tenant so I peeked through the window and the unit is, in fact, vacant.

Can I go in and re-key/re-lease or do I need to post notices/due diligence as she has already paid for rent through the end of this month?

1. Shazad Z Omar

Pro

4

Answered . Has possession been returned to you? Has the tenant informed you before leaving? Generally, you may give a notice of abandonment to effectuate a quicker return of the property. I suggest you speak to an attorney to help with this process.