I suspect my daughter's father suffers from anti-social personality disorder. How do I get a Court Ordered Mental Health Eval?

Asked over 1 year ago - Seattle, WA

Family Court Issue: After carefully reading DSM IV and ISD-10, I am confident he meets the diagnostic criteria for anti-social, dissocial personality disorder. I also think that the disorder impairs his ability to parent my daughter who is 15 yrs old. I have some legal know-how, and am an excellent writer. I would like some advice about how to structure my argument in a memorandum which I will submit to the Court. How should I present this case in writing? What angle would you take?

1. Kenan Lee Isitt

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . Many people meet the vague diagnostic criteria for antisocial behavior, because many people are assholes. The DSM is not likely to carry much weight unless you have a psych involved. Your writing is superb, but many judges see a lot of good writing.
    Stick to the facts. There is no "angle" or "structure" that works better than the truth. [caveat: talk to an attorney in person first].

2. Peter Jaret Abbarno

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with the previous answers. The court hears numerous allegations being thrown around regarding mental capacity and anti-social personality disorders. If the court does not agree with your assessment and order an evaluation, your option would be limited to filing a petition to modify the parenting plan and conducting discovery- CR 35. I wholeheartedly agree with the answer advising you to tread lightly to avoid CR 11 sanctions .

3. Dave Hawkins

Pro

1

Answered . You would need to file a Petition to modify the PP and file a CR 35 motion. You need to have all of your ducks in a row to avoid CR 11 sanctions for filing a frivolous motion.