I supply coverage to my ex. I may need to go on Cobra. Am I responsible to pay for his share of COBRA? Can I only cover myself?

Asked 12 months ago - Cranston, RI

Me alone on Cobra is about $500. If I continue to give coverage to my EX then Cobra will be around $1500! Who is responsible to pay the difference? Can I legally drop him?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Carl P DeLuca


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . That would depend entirely on what your obligation is under the Final Decree and/or any Marital Settlement Agreement and why you may need to go on Cobra. Normally, there is an obligation to continue coverage of a spouse's health insurance after a divorce under the Rhode Island Health Insurance Continuation Act. However, there are limits to this and normally the covered spouse must pay for any excess cost to for covering them. The general requirements of the law may be modified in the Final Decree or Marital Settlement Agreement so it is important to refer to those documents.

    Please consult with an experienced Rhode Island divorce attorney to get a complete understanding of your rights and obligations.

    Rhode Island is a very small jurisdiction so it's important that you consider the possibility that people who you... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,731 answers this week

2,598 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,731 answers this week

2,598 attorneys answering