I suffered a first degree burn from mc donalds coffee that the clerk spilled on me .

Asked over 1 year ago - Victorville, CA

I reached for the coffee, and the mc donalds clerk had not put the top on properly and it spilled on my hand and caused burns,. Only first degree. i could not find an attorney to take the case because it wasn't a 2nd degree burn. The insurance company has asked how much in compensation im looking to receive. I am not sure of what I am entitled to. I went to the doctor several times. Took of work for the visits and paid for the visits and medication.I have pictures of the burns. It has since healed. How much am I entitled to?

1. Malosack Berjis

10

Answered . Generally, you are entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, as well as any related expenses (e.g., mileage for traveling to & from doctors' visits), and lost wages. Then, you are also entitled to pain & suffering. But, remember that every case is different and there really isn't a formula.

2. Michael Shemtoub

9

Answered . You are certainly entitled to compensation for any loss of wages you have endured due to this accident. As long as you have firm documentation of this, you should be successful in your case. You will need to show the actual degree of loss however. You will need to present each medical bill and statements from your employer showing how many days, hours, and pay you missed from work. The attending physician will also need to provide to you all of his records, although doctors are unlikely to be supportive of litigation. Regardless, this all may just very well cost you far more than it is worth. Attorney fees factored in you may be left with 0. Best of Luck.

3. Albert Lee Crosner

9

Answered . Fortunately, you were not injured too badly. Add up the doctors visits and the amount paid as well as medication, time off from work at your hourly rate , and add an amount that is fair for the suffering you endured. Good luck.

4. Sagi Shaked

Pro

8

Answered . It sounds like the McDonald's employee is negligent and you would entitled to compensation. How much depends on severity of injury.

5. Christine C McCall

Pro

6

Answered . Your potential claim will be very much complicated and scrutinized by the fact that so many have seen the movie. I would expect that the food-seller will be all over that issue. And the court as well, if your claim gets that far. If there is evidence to be found that you have seen the movie, this will be an exceedingly steep and difficult battle.

6. Todd Louis Turoci

Pro

6

Answered . You are entitled to reimbursement of your medical expenses, as well as the loss to you of your time off of work. In addition, pain and suffering to the extent the trier of fact determines that that is worth--typically 3-5 times the amount of your monetary loss.

7. David B Pittman

Pro

7

Answered . The damages are quite small so I would not expect a big payoff. If you have made a concerted effort to find a lawyer and cannot, you can try to resolve it on your own to get your medical expenses reimbursed and as much as you can for pain and suffering. Good luck.

Pro

5

Answered . A personal injury lawyer will try to negotiate something, but don't do it yourself.

9. Judy A. Goldstein

4

Answered . A first degree burn usually doesn't require all the drama and care you describe. It appears you have overdramatized this event to make a bigger claim. You probably won't go very far with that.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now