Skip to main content

I submitted my reply brief to 9th Cir.which forwarded to BIA 9 months ago.How can i find status of my case.

Stockton, CA |

I am pro se in Immigration case.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Call the Automated Status Query System at 1-800-898-7180. - Disclaimer: This a general answer to your legal question. Unless you have a signed engagement letter with me, you should not consider this information to be legal advice.


You can call the number Ms. Gasson gave you ... but, unfortunately, you probably won't learn anything helpful.

It will probably just say 'pending'.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


I agree. Don't expect a lot of information from that number. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.


The BIA is as unresponsive a body as you are likely to run in to and almost never provides any useful information in response to any kind of status request. I think the most you can hope for is just to confirm that they haven't actually lost your case. You also should make a record that you have been following up on this matter just in case BIA later claims that it in fact sent you something which you didn't respond to. So do write to the Board requesting the status and copy the attorney who represented the DHS when the case was last before the Board. If you don't get a response in 30 days I would follow up with a formal motion to ask the Board to provide the status of the matter. If you do those things then at least you have created a record showing that you have been following up with "due diligence" which might prove important later if there is in fact a problem in this case. One last possibility is that you might ask the Attorney who represented the government before the 9th Circuit if he knows the status of your case before the Board. Although he'll probably say "its not my problem" sometimes they can prove to be extraordinarily helpful.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer