I stole 134 dollars worth of stuff from walmart and went to jail what will happen to me at court? will i get differed?

Asked over 1 year ago - North Charleston, SC

my background has been ex-sponged but it was for paraphernalia and possession of 6 grams or 28 grams or less

1. Tristan M Shaffer

3

Answered . I would highly recommend you hiring a lawyer or requesting a public defender.

That being said it is unlikely that you will go to jail. Back when I represented a lot of defendants charged with shoplifting, I was often able to get the company to agree to drop the charge in exchange for restitution and a trespass notice. But at the time store employee's actually prosecuted the case. That ended around the time the SC Supreme Court came out with In Re Richland County Magistrate Court came out in 2010. I am not sure if the same deal can be worked not.

I would highly recommend hiring an attorney or requesting a public defender. There are many very good attorneys in Charleston. I recommend Marybeth Mullaney in Mount Pleasant.

2. Keith G Langer

Pro

3

Answered . If you were in jail, you were apparently arrested. Therefore, it means the store intends to prosecute and you will need a criminal defense attorney.

If you are deemed indigent, one will be appointed. If not, you will have to retain your own. The SC and your county bar associations can assist you with referrals.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  3. Thomas C. Nelson

Answered . My experience with Wal-Mart is that they take a fairly hard stance as they want to send a message to future shoplifters. Stay away from Wal-Mart and hire a lawyer. In my experience, they will not defer the charges. If you have a clean record, PTI might be an option.

4. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

Answered . It all depends on the facts of your case and your priors. You definitely need to consult with a criminal Attorney for guidance in this matter.