I started a company with a person from another country. If he moves to the US, can he work for the company without a work visa?

Asked 10 months ago - Sunnyvale, CA

Is it illegal for him to work at all?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Certainly not without a "work" visa such as H-1B or even J-1. Realistically it will be near impossible to obtain unless the job offer will be in a position that requires someone with a university degree, etc.
    For someone admitted under visitor status to accept employment or to work , whether paid or unpaid is a a activity in violation of the visa status under which he was admitted into the country and is grounds for immediate removal.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  2. Dana Howard Shultz

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If he wants to work for the company, he will need a work visa.

    Please see the post at the link below.

    This information does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  3. Roger R. Rathi


    Contributor Level 4


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Of course, it is illegal for him to work without a visa. If he is making a significant investment, $500,000 in a rural area or $1 million in an urban area, he could seek what is known as EB-5 investor's visa. Contact an attorney in your area for more details.

  4. Maria J. Marty

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If he is going to work for the company, he will need a work visa. A common nonimmigrant work visa form entrepreneurs in the U.S. is the E2, if he is from a country that has an E treaty from the US and the investment otherwise qualifies. If its a large investment of $500K or more, then he might want to consider the EB5 although that means he will want to immigrate to the U.S., get a greencard, etc.. Much bigger commitment than the E2. There are other visas, like L and H which might also fit as a work visa. If he really wants to come in and work for the company, you really need to set up a consultation with an attorney that can present all the options according to his and your short/long term plans for your U.S. business.

    Maria J. Marty Attorney at Law | mjmarty@mcaulifflaw.com | Office: 206.494.9999 McAuliff Law Firm | 14205 SE... more
  5. Vonda K Vandaveer

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . Any foreign national coming to the US to work must be work authorized. There are quite a few work visas, nonimmigrant and immigrant. What visa type is available and most appropriate for your colleague depends on his unique situation. We represent entrepreneurs coming to the US to start or expand their business, including handling the immigration aspects. He will want to consult with a competent attorney to obtain a thorough assessment of his options, the pros and cons, and the best way for proceeding, given his longer term goals.

    V.K. Vandaveer, PLLC. 202-340-1215. This response is only general in nature and is not legal advice specific to... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,548 answers this week

3,213 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,548 answers this week

3,213 attorneys answering