I sold my used car to a private party, can he contest the sale after title has been transferred and ask for refund?

Asked about 1 year ago - Mountain View, CA

The car was running, they did a test drive, they did all the checks they wanted but did not brought it to a mechanic. They signed the title transfer, agreed on the price ( on the higher end of the blue book value) and made the payment and drove the car away. 1,5 day later they call back to claim that the direction has a problem, and a mechanic estimated the cost of repair to 800$. The say that we have to pay for the repairs because the price they paid for the car was higher than the car's value on the market.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Scott Richard Kaufman

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes, they can sue. Yes, they can ask for a refund. No, you do not have to pay for repairs, UNLESS, they can prove their case in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,221 answers this week

2,831 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,221 answers this week

2,831 attorneys answering