I sold my Go kart to a high school kid and his parents want a refund.

I sold my Go-kart to a high school kid down my street I believe he is 17 years old. When he was at my house i mentioned that I can't give him a refund. A few days later him and his parents are calling me and at my door step. They want a refund and are threatening me with court. what do I do in this situation? Am I required to refund them?

Grand Junction, CO -

Jason P. Bailey

Jason P. Bailey

Contracts / Agreements Lawyer - Grand Junction, CO

The issue is whether or not you can actually have a binding contract with someone under the age of 18. Usually the answer is no, but it sometimes depends on the circumstances. It is impossible to tell from the facts given.

Jason Bryan Wesoky

Jason Bryan Wesoky

Contracts / Agreements Lawyer - Denver, CO

As previously stated, you can't have a binding contract with a 17-year old. As a result, there is no contract. You will likely need to refund the money (and he'll have to return the go-kart).

L. Maxwell Taylor

L. Maxwell Taylor

Litigation Lawyer - Middlebury, VT

The link below may be helpful to you.