I sold my Go kart to a high school kid and his parents want a refund.

Asked 10 months ago - Grand Junction, CO

I sold my Go-kart to a high school kid down my street I believe he is 17 years old. When he was at my house i mentioned that I can't give him a refund. A few days later him and his parents are calling me and at my door step. They want a refund and are threatening me with court. what do I do in this situation? Am I required to refund them?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jason P. Bailey

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The issue is whether or not you can actually have a binding contract with someone under the age of 18. Usually the answer is no, but it sometimes depends on the circumstances. It is impossible to tell from the facts given.

  2. Jason Bryan Wesoky

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . As previously stated, you can't have a binding contract with a 17-year old. As a result, there is no contract. You will likely need to refund the money (and he'll have to return the go-kart).

    Any response is not legal advice and should not be considered legal advice. Always consult an attorney in your... more
  3. L. Maxwell Taylor

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The link below may be helpful to you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,094 answers this week

3,127 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,094 answers this week

3,127 attorneys answering