I sold my car to a friend. It's taken 2 1/2 years to close the sale and transfer ownership. There is still a balance due.

San Francisco, CA |
Filed under: Car loan Vehicle title

I sold my car to a friend. It's taken 2 1/2 years to close the sale and transfer ownership. There is still a balance due before releasing the pink slip. And she is also driving the car without auto insurance. The insurance and title/registration is still under my name. I've written emails, sent past due letters, called, etc. No response. What do I do?

Transfer title and retain a lienholder status on it. Then cancel your insurance on it. Sue your friend for the balance due. Good luck!

I am an Attorney-at-Law, licensed to practice law only in the state of California. Unless we have both signed a formal retainer agreement, you are not my client, and my discussion of issues does not constitute legal advice. Opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of those who hold other opinions.

If you transferered ownership on it already, there is no reason to insure it, UNLESS you drive it regularly? Prior advice from counsel is spot on...

Car loan topics