I sold my car to a friend. It's taken 2 1/2 years to close the sale and transfer ownership. There is still a balance due.

Asked 5 months ago - San Francisco, CA

I sold my car to a friend. It's taken 2 1/2 years to close the sale and transfer ownership. There is still a balance due before releasing the pink slip. And she is also driving the car without auto insurance. The insurance and title/registration is still under my name. I've written emails, sent past due letters, called, etc. No response. What do I do?

1. Gary Ralph Ilmanen

2

Answered . Transfer title and retain a lienholder status on it. Then cancel your insurance on it. Sue your friend for the balance due. Good luck!

2. Scott Richard Kaufman

2

Answered . If you transferered ownership on it already, there is no reason to insure it, UNLESS you drive it regularly? Prior advice from counsel is spot on...