Skip to main content

I slipped on icy sidewalk 1/11 and and still seeking treatment for a broken femur. Now I've been told that i need to give notic

Worcester, MA |

now I've been told i have to give notice to town or property owner. is this true?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8


If you plan on pursing the matter I would contact a local personal injury attorney and have them place a proper notice on your behalf.

You can find a qualified attorney on AVVO.

Good luck.

AVVO DISCLAIMER I am licensed in Minnesota only and my answers on Avvo assume Minnesota law. The answers I provide are for general information only and are NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and therefore must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interaction between an attorney and client and specific exact facts and the law. I do not retain clients without a signed RETAINER AGREEMENT. The Avvo forum does not allow for the discussion and the interaction necessary to form a complete legal analysis. Therefore the answers given to any specific question would most likely be different if there was attorney-client interaction. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such an attorney client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged nor are they confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and statutory time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in the answers to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an qualified attorney for legal advice licensed in the proper jurisdiction. Finally, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.


You must put the city or county where it occurred on proper notice. Speak to a local personal injury attorney


Get a free consult with a local injury lawyer asap. there are special reqts for making claims against govt entities. You need to know your rights and what to say and what not to.


Contact a personal injury attorney. Most give free consultations,and most take cases on a contingency fee basis. It must be determined whose property the sidewalk was on, private land, or city or county property. It will need to be determined who had the duty to maintain the sidewalk and keep it safe, whether they breached that duty, and that this breach caused your fall and gave rise to permanent injuries and damages. An experienced PI attorney can help answer these questions. II am sorry that you got hurt and hope you are recovering.

** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** This response above is not legal advice and it does not establish an attorney-client relationship. When responding to questions posted on Avvo, a general purpose response based on Florida law is provided. All relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter is not available. Therefore, I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, the review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel. Karen Munzer, PLLC,, E-Mail: , Tel: (786) 501-6655


Yes. Specialized notice. Get lawyer

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- (978) 749-3606.
Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.


Yes. Retain a personal injury lawyer in your state from Avvo immediately to put the town on notice.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


Massachusetts general law c. 84 sec. 18 imposes an obligation to provide written notice to a municipality within 30 days of the date of injury that includes information concerning the person injured as well as the time, place and cause of injury. This requirement is very strict and failure to comply will likely preclude any suit against the municipal entity that was obliged by law to maintain the sidewalk. There may be very limited situation(s) that provide relief from this obligation which a personal injury attorney can explore after learning more about the facts of your case. Keep in mind that damages are limited to $5,000 against a municipality in this type of case. Good Luck


Massachusetts law requires 30 day notice, although the defendant needs to be able to prove that that failure to provide notice within 30 days prejudiced the defendant in some manner in order to preclude a claim.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer