I slipped on icy sidewalk 1/11 and and still seeking treatment for a broken femur. Now I've been told that i need to give notic

Asked over 1 year ago - Worcester, MA

now I've been told i have to give notice to town or property owner. is this true?

1. Kenneth Lee LaBore

Pro

9

Answered . If you plan on pursing the matter I would contact a local personal injury attorney and have them place a proper notice on your behalf.

You can find a qualified attorney on AVVO.

2. Sagi Shaked

Pro

8

Answered . You must put the city or county where it occurred on proper notice. Speak to a local personal injury attorney

3. Henry Lebensbaum

6

Answered . Yes. Specialized notice. Get lawyer

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

4. Karen Tallent Munzer

Pro

7

Answered . Contact a personal injury attorney. Most give free consultations,and most take cases on a contingency fee basis. It must be determined whose property the sidewalk was on, private land, or city or county property. It will need to be determined who had the duty to maintain the sidewalk and keep it safe, whether they breached that duty, and that this breach caused your fall and gave rise to permanent injuries and damages. An experienced PI attorney can help answer these questions. II am sorry that you got hurt and hope you are recovering.

5. Kevin Michael Cloutier

5

Answered . Massachusetts general law c. 84 sec. 18 imposes an obligation to provide written notice to a municipality within 30 days of the date of injury that includes information concerning the person injured as well as the time, place and cause of injury. This requirement is very strict and failure to comply will likely preclude any suit against the municipal entity that was obliged by law to maintain the sidewalk. There may be very limited situation(s) that provide relief from this obligation which a personal injury attorney can explore after learning more about the facts of your case. Keep in mind that damages are limited to $5,000 against a municipality in this type of case. Good Luck

Pro

6

Answered . Yes. Retain a personal injury lawyer in your state from Avvo immediately to put the town on notice.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  7. Robert Bruce Kopelson

5

Answered . Get a free consult with a local injury lawyer asap. there are special reqts for making claims against govt entities. You need to know your rights and what to say and what not to.

8. David McCormack

1

Answered . Massachusetts law requires 30 day notice, although the defendant needs to be able to prove that that failure to provide notice within 30 days prejudiced the defendant in some manner in order to preclude a claim.