Skip to main content

I slipped in a convenience store and suffer from pain in the tailbone, do I have a case?

Philadelphia, PA |

It was a very rainy day and I walked to a convenience store for some snacks. The ground was very wet and puddles were everywhere. Shortly after I entered the store, I slipped and landed on my tailbone. The shop owner asked me if I was alright and told me that the floor wasn't wet and suspected that my shoes were wet and slippery from outside. My shoes were wet, but there wasn't a caution wet floor sign so I didn't notice it was slippery until it was too late. A few days, and now weeks later I was still suffering sharp pain in my tailbone from my accident. There was no wet floor sign, but there was a mat at the entrance, however I did not see or notice the mat until after I slipped. I'm wondering if I have a case?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Property owners have a duty to reasonably maintain their property. To boil down a lengthy analysis, this duty requires people and companies who own properties, whether they are stores, restaurants or apartment complexes, to take reasonable precautions with respect to hazards of which they have notice, or of which they reasonably SHOULD have been on notice.

When it is raining and it is likely that customers might track water inside, there's actually a case that has been cited many times in other cases holding that a funeral home discharged its duty by putting floor mats just inside the door. So, having taken that reasonable precaution, the owner was not liable where someone slipped and fell on water beyond that area. The owner of a business propery and the customers are equally on notice as to the danger and each have certain duties of care.

That's my take on your case. Other attorneys might disagree.

I truly wish you the best.

If you find my answer helpful, please click the ‘thumbs-up’ tab below. Thank you.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Laws vary widely from state to state. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation by a local attorney who is thoroughly familiar with state laws and the area of practice in which your concern lies.


There are many personal injury slip and fall attorneys in Philadelphia who will offer you a free consultation on this case. It's best that you get a professional opinion on the facts in this matter.

You should contact a lawyer for a consultation.

Leo M Mulvihill, Jr
2424 E York St., Suite 316
Philadelphia, PA 19125
215.385.LAW1 (5291)


I would add to the above responses that, if you have not already, you should seek medical attention.

You may also find this guide to be helpful:

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer