I slipped and fell in a parking lot of a resort in NV and I live in CA. Do I have to find an attorney in NV or CA?

Asked over 1 year ago - Sacramento, CA

I slipped on ice in a parking lot and received some major head and neck injuries. The resorts insurance has been non responsive and I am not sure if I have to look in NV for an attorney or if I can find an attorney in CA to represent me.

1. David J. McCormick

13

Answered . Since you were injured in Nevada you will need an attorney licensed in Nevada to represent you in case you have to file suit.

Pro

12

Answered . It would be best to get a lawyer in NV, but your CA lawyer could file if he gets admitted pro hac vice.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  3. Robert Max Klein

Pro

9

Answered . In most cases you have to file a lawsuit in the state where the injury occurred. There are some exceptions. The best thing you can do is consult with a personal injury lawyer in the Sacramento area, but don't be surprised if you are advised to hire a Nevada lawyer.

4. Marc Lazarus

9

Answered . Nevada has different laws than California. You should either speak to a Nevada attorney or someone in California who knows the differences in the laws. Also, ice is a natural occurrence. That can be a hurdle in trying to establish fault. What did the resort do or fail to do to cause you to slip on the ice? Did the resort not remove it from a pathway?

Marc Lazarus
    www.russellandlazarus.com

5. Paul J Molinaro

Pro

4

Answered . A person who was injured by the negligence of another in Nevada will need to retain a Nevada lawyer.

- Paul

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D.
    Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker
    Fransen & Molinaro, LLP
    980 Montecito Drive, Suite 206
    Corona, CA 92879
    (951)520-9684
    www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com
    "When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW."

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.

** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law.

6. Jeffrey Edmund Estes

2

Answered . You can hire an attorney in either state and try to resolve the claim without filing a lawsuit. However, if the insurance company for the resort is non responsive, and or disputes liability, then you will have to file a lawsuit in Nevada and hire an attorney who is licensed to practice law in Nevada.