Skip to main content

I slipped and fell (small wet area) In a local store two days ago. I suffered a mild concussion.

Everett, WA |

A store mngr & display person saw me fall. I fell hard and hit my head on display. I called the store after seeing a doctor today and he is going to contact their claims person who will be calling me back. Do I provide them with a copy of paperwork from the doctor?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Before anything, it is strongly encouraged that you speak with a personal injury attorney with experience in Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) cases. Even though you suffered a "mild" concussion, it is very early in the process and the effects of an injury on the brain may take days, weeks, even months to fully develop. Additionally, depending on the type of radiology (if any) utilized by the doctor diagnosing your mild concussion, certain radiology procedures are less effective than others (e.g. X-Ray v. Functional MRI ) at assessing the extent of brain injuries. You will want to have an attorney familiar with the medicine and unique issues that arise in a TBI injury, or even a mild TBI.

    As to the paperwork matter, again, speak with an attorney and no one else. At this time you are under no obligation to provide any recorded statements. Nor should you, generally, sign any release of medical information. However, only an attorney whom you have spoken with about the specific facts will be in a position to appropriately advise you. There are also specific legal issues (such as whether store personnel knew about the wet area) that you will want to discuss with the attorney.

    Again, even if your injuries do not seem that serious, talk to an experienced TBI attorney soon. As a firm with extensive experience in Traumatic Brain Injuries, the importance of speaking with a TBI attorney soon cannot be stressed enough.

    Nothing posted on this site is intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. Bryan M. Donahue, DeShaw Trial Lawyers, 805 SW Broadway, Suite 2540, Portland, OR 97205 | Telephone: 503-227-1233 | Facsimile: 503-227-2489 | Email: | Online:

  2. See a lawyer.

    The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Howard Roitman, Esq. and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.

  3. Mr. Donahue's advice is very sound. It may take several days, weeks or even months for traumatic brain injuries (TBI's) to fully manfiest. I strongly encourage you to speak with an attorney who is knowledgable and experienced in handling TBI case's before you begin communicating with or disclosing any information to the store personnel or their claims adjusters.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics