I slip and fell in this grocery store and now my attorney is saying the company is under bankruptcy i cant get my settlement why

Asked 11 months ago - Macon, GA

I was out of work due to being hurt behind this slip and fall now the company has changed it name what can i do about my settlement call my attorney every week and his secertery tells me it nothing can be done i want to know why

1. Jeffrey Mark Adams

15

Answered . Nothing can be "done" while a company is in bankruptcy. There is an automatic stay. Assuming of course, that the store is self insured.

2. Albert Lee Crosner

13

Answered . Attorney Adams has provided you with a very good answer. In short, he is confirming what your attorney told you. Best of luck.

3. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

11

Answered . As I am sure your lawyer has told you, a bankruptcy stays all suits and claims against a company. If the store had insurance he can move the bankruptcy court to set aside the automatic stay and proceed against them up to the insurance coverage limits.

Pro

12

Answered . Find out the status of the bankruptcy.

5. Joseph John Bernardo

Pro

12

Answered . If store had insurance you can set aside the automatic stay in bankruptcy cases and proceed up to the insurance coverage limits only. Your attorney knows(or should anyway) how to deal with this situation. Follow their advice and have them explain your options.

6. D K Kevin Dugan

11

Answered . Has your attorney filed a claim in the bankruptcy proceeding?

The information you obtain from this website is not legal advice.
  7. Richard Marc Katz

Pro

8

Answered . If the grocery store was self insured then the bankruptcy court will take over the processes, which can be daunting. The chances of recovery depend upon the financial health of the business.

If the store had liability insurance there is a procedure in which you can limit your recovery to the insurance proceeds and not be in bankruptcy court. You should discuss the exemption with your attorney.

8. Robert G. Rothstein

7

Answered . Stop talking to the secretary and insist upon speaking directly to your attorney. He should be able to explain it to you.