Skip to main content

I slip and broke a leg in a supermarket... can i get a lawsuit a be refund for my medical bill

Boston, MA |

no further details.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 14


Please provide more information. What did you slip on? Where in store did you fall? When was the fall? More details would be helpful.

Chris Earley


More information is needed to answer your question fully, but depending on the circumstances it is possible. Essentially, “slip and fall” liability attaches where the owner or proprietor knew or should have known of a potentially dangerous condition on the property, and failed to take the proper steps to remove the danger, to minimize an unavoidable danger, or to warn others of the danger. For example, if a bottle of oil spills in a grocery store aisle, the store owner may not be held liable if someone slips upon it before the owner has had a reasonable opportunity to learn of the problem and to address it an appropriate way by cleaning it up, giving a warning, or blocking the area from public access. If you slipped on a spilled substance and you believe that the store owner should have been aware of the spill, then you may have a viable claim and I would suggest you speak to a local personal injury attorney. Good Luck!!


It is entirely possible that you may be able to recover for your medical bills plus an additional amount for the pain and suffering that you have experienced. You should discuss the specific facts of your slip and fall with an attorney to discuss the potential liability of the supermarket where you suffered your fall.

Very truly yours,



Consult immediately with a local MA personal injury attorney. If it can be proven that the supermarket was negligent & that was the cause of your fall you are entitled to more than your medical bills - ie. wage loss; pain & suffering; future medical & disability.

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.


I agree that additional information would be necessary to evaluate the possibility of bringing a claim for medical bills or for the other harms caused by your slip and fall accident. However, with that said, many commercial businesses have a medical payments insurance policy which will pay your medical bills regardless of fault. I would encourage you to contact a personal injury lawyer in your area before speaking with a representative of the supermarket.


The short answer is "maybe" depending on how your accident happened you may be entitled to compensation. I suggest you contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible to preserve some of the evidence which may help prove up your case. Best of luck to you.


Perhaps. That depends on the casue of the slip/injuries.

You need an experienced personal injury attorney to take a look at the situation on your behalf. Make sure you seek and receive the medical care you need in the short term!

Best of luck to you.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


If you slipped on a hazardous floor area, and the property owner had reasonable notice of the hazard but failed to make the area safe, you likely have a valid claim for damages which would include the amount of all related medical bills, out-of-pocket expenses, lost wages/earning capacity, and pain & suffering. You should ask a personal injury attorney to handle the claim, as the insurance company will give you as little as it can get away with no attorney to protect your interests.
Feel free to call with any questions. I handle many cases like this, and would be happy to discuss.
Best of luck.

Nothing in this email is to be construed as legal advice, or as a solicitation to create an attorney/client relationship.


Slip and fall cases are very fact specific. The answer to your question will depend on such things as what was it that caused you to slip, who was responsible for that condition, how long was that condition present, etc. Basically, did the owner of the property, or its employees do or fail to do something that contributed to your accident? You need to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney who can go through all of those facts with you in order to make a determination as to whether you do have a case to recover damages for your injuries. Good luck.


If the store was negligent, so retain a local personal injury lawyer to investigate this accident.


Many further details are necessary, but depending on the supermarket's insurance coverage, and/or the cause of the fall and/or many other factors, your medical bills may be covered. Your best bet is to hire an experienced personal injury attorney in your area ASAP.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.


Let me put it this way. It depends on how you answer the following question. In your own words, what did the store do wrong?



In order for the supermarket to be responsible, there had to be some careless act on its part such as cleaning the floor and leaving it slippery or leaving produce on the floor. There has to be a cause of your slip and fall for the store to be liable. If there was, you will be entitled to far more than your medical bills. See a lawyer immediately. The longer you wait, the more difficult it will be to prove what caused the fall. Good luck.

Steve Coren

This answer does not consitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. The answer is based only on the facts presented. This answer is basd only on Massachusetts law.



This is an advertisement for legal services. No commentary on this website is intended to be legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by using this site.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer