Skip to main content

I signed the birth certificate for a child i was told and believed was mine. But when the child was round 18 months

Jacksonville, FL |

I got into some legal trouble. As a result went to prison for a little over 4 years. Now that I been release for almost 5 months now, I been told that I'm not the child's father. Also I'm learning that I been on child support for 4 years , which I knew nothing about. I am $12,500 behind. IF I take a DNA test and it prove I'm not the child father, can I be remove from the child's birth certificate and took off child support. I'm looking soon to hire a lawyer for this matter. What's the price range for a case of this matter? And what are my options at this point?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Contact an attorney immediately. In some states, there is a two-year statute of limitations on paternity actions of various types. That statute may or may not have been tolled while you were incarcerated.

The above is not intended to be legal advice, but may be used for general information. Please contact an attorney for specific help tailored to your needs.

Tami Lane Augen

Tami Lane Augen


Sean, in Florida we have a statute for disestablishment of paternity, so there is not really a statue of limitations period. But, there are very strict guidelines for how to disestablish paternity.

Sean Patrick Lewis

Sean Patrick Lewis


Thanks! Great info to know. I appreciate your insight.


In Florida we actually have a statutory mechanism for disestablishment of paternity. However, one of the requirements is that you must be current on your child support payments. I would urge you to contact an attorney to discuss this statute and how to disestablish paternity. Best of luck to you.

This answer is for general informational purposes only and should not be relied upon for your particular case nor is it intended as legal advice. I have not reviewed your case nor have I met with you and the answer to this question does not in any manner whatsoever establish an attorney/client relationship.


Ms. Augen is correct. There is a statutory way to disestablish paternity, but your must be up to date with your support payments. Talk to an attorney ASAP. As far as cost goes, contact some Avvo attorneys to get an idea.

Legal disclaimer: Ms. Braaten's answer to your question does not establish an attorney client relationship, but rather is meant to share knowledge with the general public. For specific advise on your case, you need to consult one on one with an family law attorney.

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer