I signed the birth certificate for a child i was told and believed was mine. But when the child was round 18 months

Asked 10 months ago - Jacksonville, FL

I got into some legal trouble. As a result went to prison for a little over 4 years. Now that I been release for almost 5 months now, I been told that I'm not the child's father. Also I'm learning that I been on child support for 4 years , which I knew nothing about. I am $12,500 behind. IF I take a DNA test and it prove I'm not the child father, can I be remove from the child's birth certificate and took off child support. I'm looking soon to hire a lawyer for this matter. What's the price range for a case of this matter? And what are my options at this point?

1. Tami Lane Augen

Pro

3

Answered . In Florida we actually have a statutory mechanism for disestablishment of paternity. However, one of the requirements is that you must be current on your child support payments. I would urge you to contact an attorney to discuss this statute and how to disestablish paternity. Best of luck to you.

2. Arica Lynn Braaten

Pro

1

Answered . Ms. Augen is correct. There is a statutory way to disestablish paternity, but your must be up to date with your support payments. Talk to an attorney ASAP. As far as cost goes, contact some Avvo attorneys to get an idea.

3. Sean Patrick Lewis

1

Answered . Contact an attorney immediately. In some states, there is a two-year statute of limitations on paternity actions of various types. That statute may or may not have been tolled while you were incarcerated.