I signed a t-mobile contract when i was 16 now im 17

San Jose, CA |

Im 17 now and i can signed a contract (2) years for a tmobile Item and the sales associate who works at tmobile said my Bill would be $244 monthly and i had recently found out my bill turned into $277 I remember asking the associate if my bill would be $244 monthly. so I agreed and signed the contract he asked for my student I.D and i gave it to him also i needed a credit card to confirm the purchase which at the time i did not own one so a associate working there offered to use his and he had co signed for me i walked away with the item not im being billed for something that had turned out to be a complete lie. I also have the paper that said $244 circled with tax but no name or signature. I believe they have it.

To get out of the contract it is an $200 fee is this something id have to take to court or do i have to call up tmobile and deal with this myself

1. Someone under the age of 18 cannot be bound by a contract. Cancel the contract and ignore the protests. Make it clear you are cancelling it by sending that information by regular mail and return receipt requested (that's right 2 letters saying the same thing.) Hold onto the receipt in a safe place for when they start claiming you have to pay them beyond the day you cancelled. The only one on the hook is there employee.

This was a really dumb plan. Especially the sales associate using his credit card...

This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship or constitute attorney advertising. Rather, it is offered solely for information purposes. Since the facts of each case are different, it is critical to consult with qualified counsel with whom information can be shared and assessed under an attorney-client privilege, so that competent advice can be obtained on which you can make informed decisions.

2. As a minor, you can "disaffirm" (cancel) a contract, but you'll have to give the "item" that you bought back.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

Business topics