I signed a Buyer Agency agreement. Is this contract binding to my husband who did not sign.

Asked almost 3 years ago - Lancaster, PA

Real Estate agent had me sign a Buyer Agency Agreement. My husband did not sign this contract. When I tried to end this contract for various reasons the agency said I had to stay with them for the 6 months and they would not end the contract. Is this contract binding for my Husband?

Additional information

We would be potential buyers

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Jan Matthew Tamanini

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . If your reasons for ending the contract include that the realtors were not fulfilling their end of the bargain, you may be able to get out of the contract early for cause (the agency didn't fulfill its contractual duties to you). If your husband didn't sign the contract, not only would it not bind him, it could also be a reason to terminate your agreement, as the agency did not have the consent of all owners for the agency agreement.

    Of course, as with all of my online answers, my advice is limited by the brevity of your question and the facts provided. Additional information would be required to provide definitive legal advice, so this answer isn't intended to, and does not, create an attorney-client relationship.

    Good luck!

    If you feel this answer has been helpful, please consider checking the "thumbs up" box below.

  2. James S. Tupitza

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Any real estate licensee that wants to force you into maintaining a contractual relationship it just plain stupid. Imagine how much an agent pays for advertising to promote himself or herself. Imagine the cost of the dis-advertising when you start telling everyone you know that your are stuck like glue. Go to the agent's broker of record or manager and work this out. It should not be hard.

    DISCLAIMER The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to... more

Related Topics

Real estate

The term real estate means land and items permanently attached to it, like buildings. This area of law deals with who has the right to own and use these items.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,726 answers this week

3,452 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,726 answers this week

3,452 attorneys answering