I signed a 6 mo lease in Aug 2011 , I'm still living there 1 . 5 years later and have not signed any other lease since then .

Battle Creek, MI |

They're trying to charge me $900 for my dog, $300 non-refundable and $600 refundable. When I signed my lease in 2011 the pet deposit was $300 refundable. Should I pay the original amount in my lease ($300) or the current one ($900) they're attempting to charge for the "new year"?

It's hard to answer any contract question without seeing it, but once the term of a lease runs out, generally the tenant becomes month to month and the tenant is free to leave (with 30day notice) and landlord is free to change any terms, including rent or security deposit upon reasonable notice by landlord.

The above answer is generalized reply to an question and is not intended to be legal advice or establish an attorney-client relationship with you. If necessary you should meet with an attorney and provide the attorney with all relevant documents and get an attorney opinion or advice on your situation.

I had a chance to review my original lease, signed on August 27th, 2011 (no witness, no signature from the property manager, just me) and it states that once the term of that lease has ended the tenant must give 30 days notice of move-out or the lease renews itself for the same length as the original. Now the next question I have is this: If fees for upkeep of grounds, pet deposits, etc. (not necessarily included in rent but stated in the original contract) increase mid-term, am I subject to pay the new amount or the amount stated when I signed the lease?

Assuming you don't have a written agreement and you are renting on a month-to-month basis, your landlord can change the terms of your rental with 30 days notice, as Mr. Davidson pointed out. However, that 30 days cannot end before the last day of the next full rental term.

For example, suppose your rent is due on the first day of each month. On February 15 your landlord gives you notice that he is raising the rent. The new terms do not become effective until April 1. You have to be out of the apartment by the last day of the notice or you are considered to have accepted the new rental terms.

The answer to your question really depends on when they gave you notice of the change in rent. You should consult an attorney who can obtain more information from you and give you a more meaningful answer.

Once you become a "month-to-month" tenant, the landlord may change any of the terms by giving you 30 days notice. Pets can be a source of problems and expenses for landlords, and it appears the proposed changes reflect that fact. If you cannot negotiate something agreeable to you both, it may be time to start looking for a new place for you and your pet. Good luck!

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant