I shoplifted yesterday, taking to jail and bailed out, how can i get out from serving jail time if i'm guilty?

Asked over 1 year ago - Brea, CA

Macy called the cops and i was taking to jail. my parents used a bail bond to get me out. my court date will be next year in January. I have 3.5 average gpa at my college. I'm soon to be a volunteer for 2 hospitals. I'm really scared that it will get jail time if the judge said i'm guilty. My friend also shoplifted, and she carried 4 stores bags. that's why i'm scared that i will be guilty, because there are prove that we intended to shoplift when entering the store. How can I get out of this? I've been feeling depress with family's problems and personal problems. getting new clothes makes me feel better thats the reason why i did it

they told me that the total for the items i stole is $74 but on the paper it said $88 they also gave me a fee to pay of $425 for macy

1. Karren Melinda Kenney

Pro

11

Answered . You and your family need to retain a lawyer. Depending on your career goals, this may impact your life dramatically. Interview a few lawyers and pick the one you are most comfortable with. Many of us offer free consultations.

2. Joseph Briscoe Dane

Pro

10

1

Answered . First - take a breath.

Through any and all factual defenses, legal defenses and other means, your goal is to avoid a conviction, not just avoid jail time. Your good background will absolutely come into play here. Aside from your background, when you say this was at Macy's, that tells me their investigation is probably flawed. Macy's personnel routinely violate the law during their investigations. Without discussing this further with you, I can't say for sure they did in your case, but I have my suspicions.

Bottom line - you have time to work with your lawyer and get started on the path to fixing this. Let me know if you'd like to discuss it further.

3. Andrew Stephen Roberts

Pro

9

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. You need an attorney as this offense can have long lasting effects .

4. Daniel C Grupenhagen

9

Answered . As a first offense, and you're young and work hard at school, a good lawyer in the OC can get this problem solved for you. I and most AVVO contributors offer a free consultation.

5. Elliot Rahmim Zarabi

Pro

9

Answered . You should really speak to an attorney about this. You have a ton of options and you don't want to ruin your future by making a mistake and pleading guilty. Feel free to call me with any questions.

Elliot Zarabi
    www.FreeCriminalConsultation.com
    213-612-7720

6. Frank Mascagni III

8

Answered . You need to hire a criminal defense attorney to represent you ASAP. This is a public website, your comments are not privileged here. Remove them. Get counsel.

7. Jay Carl Stoegbauer

6

Answered . This is not the end of the world for you. You made a mistake. My office is in Fullerton, very close to you and would be happy to discuss this matter with you.