I shattered my ankle in my school in 2011. Can I still sue if I have not yet taken any action towards this and how?

Asked over 1 year ago - Flushing, NY

I was sent to the emergency room and had emergency surgery done to my ankle resulting in the placement of two screws. I have suffered through a lot of pain both physically and emotionally till this day.

This was in my Private high School. I shattered my ankle by slipping and falling on the staircase.

1. Gregory Scott Gennarelli

Pro

7

1

Answered . It depends on a number of factors. Most importantly, where you went to school and how you fractured your ankle. It is worth investigating, but more specifics are needed.

2. Anthony A. Ferrante

Pro

7

Answered . Public or private school. That is the question.

3. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

6

Answered . Yes, you can still sue, but you will need to act quickly. Simply falling on the steps, however, is not enough to prove your case. You need to prove that there was something wrong with the steps or the school could have prevented the incident. Please see my disclaimer.

4. Eric Edward Rothstein

6

Answered . The statute of limitations is 3 years for a private school (more if you are a minor) but it depends on why you slipped and whether the school had notice of the it. If you just slipped because you foot was in the wrong spot you have no case... there needs to be a dangerous condition You injury is worth money if there is a case so it is worth speaking with a personal injury lawyer.

5. Rafael Omar Gomez

6

Answered . You may have a claim for personal injury but it will depend on the facts surrounding how you broke your ankle. The statute of limitations is typically 3 years but if your accident happened at a public school there is a 90 day notice requirement and a 1 year and 90 day statute of limitations. You need to consult with an attorney immediately to determine if you have a case.

6. James D. Kiley

Pro

6

Answered . What caused you to suffer the injury? Did you trip over a dangerous condition? Were you participtaing in a sporting event or gym? You are really not giving much info here. If your school is a New York City publlic school then you would have had to file a Notice of Claim within 90 days of the accident and a lawsuit within 1 year and 90 days. If this was a private school, or other private entity that owned or controlled the condition that caused your injury, then you have a three year statute of limitations for negligence.

7. Michael Wayne Goldstein

6

Answered . Since your accident occurred at a private school, the statute of limitations has not expired. therefore you can still sue for your injuries, however as in any slip and fall case, you must prove that someone was at fault in the closing your accident.
    What were the conditions of the steps that caused you to fall?
    Were the steps broken in some way?
    were the steps slippery? If so please describe condition and how it occurred? For example had an employee of the school washed the stairs, and failed to place a wet floor sign?
    Did someone spilled something on the steps? If so, had anyone notified an employee of the school that the steps were wet and needed to be cleaned or dried?
    Do you have any idea how long the slippery condition was present before your accident occurred?
    was the accident reported to the school?
    Was an accident report prepared by the school (or by you on the school's ) form)?
    Did a maintenance or repair company create the dangerous condition on the stairs.
    please feel free to contact me and provide as much information as you evaluate whether you have a valid personal injury case

Pro

6

Answered . If there was some defect in the stairs, yes.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  9. Yefim Rubinov

4

Answered . Yes. You may still sue. I strongly suggest that you hire a lawyer right away.

10. Andrew Daniel Myers

5

Answered . Slipping and falling present legal challenges but the time and place to analyze whether there is positive liability is as soon as possible. The reason is that there are various deadlines. Also, you've got a serious injury with an element of permanency. But, as a matter of law, the damages aspect of the claim is not relevant until liability is established. Here's why: [Blue Link Below]

11. Leandros A. Vrionedes

Pro

3

Answered . It all depends on whether it is a public or private school. If it was a charter school, it may fall into either category. For a private school, there is a there year statute of limitations. For a public school in New York, there is generally a 90 day notice requirement with a one year and 90 day time limit to sue. You should contact a lawyer and provide the details of your accident.

12. Brian Curtis Pascale

Pro

3

Answered . If it was a private school, then yes. However, what caused your injury?

13. Timothy Leo Bowden

4

Answered . It depends in the facts. You may or may not have a claim. Contact a local injury attorney here.

Tim

One or more answers have been taken down.