I settled my lawsuit almost 10 years ago can I reopen the case?

Asked over 2 years ago - Elizabeth, NJ

I contacted my then attorney immediately after my surgery and requested he file a malpractice lawsuit against my ortho doctor for the surgery! He explained he wouldn't because he uses him in all of his cases? I have been in pain since then, serious back pain that puts me out for weeks at a time. My then attorney will not assist me at all he simply says I dont think there is anything you can do!

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Michael David Lindner Jr


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you settle a lawsuit, then that is the first, last and only chance you have of getting any money for that lawsuit. There are no re-opener rights (worker's comp is different, but this doesnt sound like a workers comp case). However, if you are saying that you had surgery, and you want to start a new case for malpractice against the doctor that did the surgery - and that surgery was 10 years - theh the settlement doesnt stop you, but more than likely the Statute of Limitations does - which is generally two years from the date of the negligent surgery. There are some exceptions but it would be the extremely rare case that would allow a lawsuit 10 years after the negligent surgery, though some exist - if you were a minor at the time, the discovery rule, ongoing treatment with the same doctor, etc. . We would need more information to assess that situation. Finally, your attorney is right, it would present an ethical problem for him to file a medical negligence lawsuit against an expert that he uses in his case. -

    Each case is fact senstive, so all answers should be viewed as general advice only, and should never replace a... more
  2. David J. McCormick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I am sorry to hear about your current situation, but settling your case 10 years ago means that you can never go back and reopen it to get more money. If you were able to reopen a settled matter then no insurance company would settle a case short of a trial.

    DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being... more
  3. Robert A. Stumpf

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I don't like to say "never", but I think your attorney is almost certainly right. It's hard to imagine the case being reopened. Sorry about what you are going through.

Related Topics

Medical malpractice and personal injury

Medical malpractice occurs when a medical professional's negligence causes injury to a patient. Incorrect actions and inaction can both be forms of negligence.

Jonathan Michael Rolnick

Medical Malpractice Case

There is an expectation when we see a physician or go to the hospital that a certain "reasonable" standard of care will be provided. In most cases, this is exactly what happens. There are... more

Surgical malpractice and personal injury

Surgical malpractice occurs when a medical professional makes an error during surgery that was both preventable and beyond the normal risks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,738 answers this week

3,093 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,738 answers this week

3,093 attorneys answering