I settled my lawsuit. My attorney got his fee. My medical was not paid & my attorney has that money. How long can he hold it?

Bay Point, CA |

My attorney says he is trying to get them to settle for less than I owe so I will get more money.

1. I suppose he can hold it until it is determined the amount of reduction the health care providers will accept. I assume you received your share of the settlement funds. It's a little odd that the medical liens were not negotiated down before settlement but that is another issue. Why don't you ask your attorney when you can expect the liens to be satisfied?

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

2. I generally try to hold onto money under these circumstances as long as possible. However, sometimes medical and medicare and other programs such as that take a long time to resolve issues with. Talk to him and ask him when everything will all be resolved and paid.

3. Be patient with your attorney. He is working in your best interest. He cannot and will not take your money. Your settlement money is being held in a Lawyer's Trust account. I would give him 3 months to negotiate with your medical providers, then ask for the money. Expect to sign papers with him when you accept receipt of these funds. After 3 months, if you can get your funds, call the State Bar of CA HQ in Sacromento.