I set my return date for 8 days after the defendant was personally served

New York, NY |

is this the day I have to go to court?

1. I assume you are talking about a Notice of Motion and the minimum time for the return date (since a summons and complaint commencing a civil action has a 20 day response time and that's done with an Answer being served, not a court appearance)?

The answer to that question is it depends on the individual judge and court it's before. Call the Court clerk and find out which Judge the motion was assigned to or when the actual return date is. Often it's not the same day you set forth on your papers. And in many courts, oral argument is not allowed or required, depending sometimes on whether you asked for it in your motion papers or whether the assigned judge allows or wants it. In those instances, the motions are decided on the papers which are considered "submitted" rather than "argued" in court.

It's complicated, as you can see, and up to the Judge. So call the Motion Clerk tomorrow morning, tell him the Index number and name of the case and he'll tell you what the deal is and whether there's an actual court hearing you must attend and when it is.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and Mr. Lebowitz or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, Mr. Lebowitz is only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information he provides about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

2. It may be. It may not be. You have to check with the court to see what day its set down for.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email - Jgold@goldbenes.com

3. You can also try ECourts from NYS OCA:

http://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/webcivil/ecourtsMain

You can usually find the return date (the day you have to go to court) online at ECourts..