I sent money western union to someone living in NY and they were suppose to send me some merchandise but didn't. How do I sue?

Hephzibah, GA |

How do i sue someone in another state that i gave money to who never returned it.

There are more questions than answers to your predicament. If you purchased off of eBay or some other online site, then its terms of service and complaint rules may govern this transaction. Western Union may have some terms and conditions on payments made by it and you might be able to file a claim through Western Union. Depending on the amount, you might decide it isn't worth the money you will have to spend to pay a filing fee with a court clerk in Georgia or New York, the service fee for a Sheriff, Marshall or private process serve to serve the summons and complaint, and the cost of getting the evidence you will need to present in court. If you win, you win a judgment which is nothing more than a court order/judgment that allows you to collect the amount of your judgment by garnishment or execution or to place a lien on property owned by the now judgment debtor. In other words, you don't just get your money back. That is why pursuing another means, OTHER than court (lawsuit) might be a better option for you. If you wish to explore your options and not spend too much more, consider booking a $99 Session with me, the 99 Dollar Lawyer.

I am an attorney licensed in Georgia. I am not a licensed counselor or therapist. I am writing as an attorney who has handled litigation cases for decades. I am not, by this response, providing any legal advice and no attorney-client relationship is established.

Thank you for answering Attorney Delugas, it is only a pity you don't practice law in NY or I would book a phone session with you for you to sue this person for me. This person is claiming to have a store in NY where I purchased the merchandise from online which is about $1880. in cost. With some private investigating I found out that the person is the only one living in the state with that first, middle and last name. He never sent me any merchandise, this was about 9 months ago so I don't think western union still have it in their system as I recently found the receipt, I thought I had lost it. If I can find any attorney in NY to sue this person for me, I would give him/her 1/2 the settlement. I don't know if I can sue him from GA. I reported him to the attorney general in NY but I don't think they will go after this person for my money. I had sent the money to him western union because I did not have a credit card at the time.

David S. Delugas

David S. Delugas

Consider filing a police report with your local law enforcement. And, if you have the receipt, contact Western Union, 9 months is not very long ago for a financial company to take action. I cannot be hired (except for personal injury cases) via the 99 Dollar Lawyer, which is why what I say is not intended to cause someone to hire me. Instead, what I say is intended to help. For 1/2 of $1,880 and considering the costs involved, I am not optimistic that any attorney would take your claim on a contingency fee. You are going to have to find another way.

Attorney Delugas: I signed up with a legal service where I pay a monthly fee as I usually have all kinds of legal problems and they got me an attorney in NY who can relay all associated costs to the defendant. They say they can garnish his wages etc. I wished I had known these types of legal service firms existed months ago, thanks for your advice.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes