I sent a Priority Mail flat rate envelope form my office in New York City, to my home near Albany New York.and it never arrived.

Catskill, NY |

I sent an Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope from my office in New York CIty, to my home near Albany, New York and it never arrived. The envelope contained many unopened letters, bills, an American Express card, bank and brokerage account statements. And even Legal documents such as a summons all that I packed into the Priority Mail envelope and sent to myself so I didn't have to travel with these items without a briefcase, or backpack it was jsut to much, and too important. Unfortunetly, the Post Office has provided NO explanation where the envelope is, and basically blames me for not insuring the envelope.
What can I do? Is the Post Office "above the law" I paid for the item, it was never delivered, at mnimum I should get my money back.. I did file a chargeback with my credit card issuer..

Did you pay the 70 cents for delivery confirmation. If not, there is not way to track the shipping and you are out of luck without recourse.

2. If documents are truly important, you can get a certificate of mail, or send it certified, or send it by overnight, such that you will have a tracking number. Instead, your argument here is, "I mailed it. I really really did. And it never arrived. It really really didn't.

End of story.

Good luck to you.

Michael S. Haber is a New York attorney. As such, his responses to posted inquiries, such as the one above, are limited to his understanding of law in the jurisdiction in which he practices and not to any other jurisdiction. In addition, no response to any posted inquiry should be deemed to constitute legal advice, nor to constitute the existence of an attorney/client or other contractual or fiduciary relationship, inasmuch as rendering legal advice involves the ability of the attorney to ask appropriate questions of the person seeking such advice and to thus gather appropriate information. In addition, an attorney/client relationship is formed only by specific agreement. The purpose of this answer is to provide the questioner with general information, not to outline specific legal rights and remedies.