I saw the apartment snow plow hit my parked car. Called office mgr, she saw damage... Only have PLPD on vehicle, what can I do?

Asked 11 months ago - Sterling Heights, MI

Office mgr. aware of situation. Not sure if I should make a police report (on private property). They have not made contact since original phone call (by me). Was going to sell vehicle but has damage to it now... not sure where to go from here, or what to do... help me plz!

1. Timothy J. Klisz

Pro

11

Answered . If legally parked, it's a property damage claim against the plow drivers insurance. You get actual damages plus loss of use (rental car). Make the claim against that insurer. It's not a collision claim!

Pro

12

Answered . Report it to the police, and submit claim to insurance carrier.

3. John F. Brennan

10

Answered . In Michigan this is a bit complex, you can seek $1000 in mini-tort - no questions. As we are a no fault state generally it is up to you to insure your car for collision damage. Because the car was legally parked different provisions of your and their insurance policies may apply. If they will not cooperate see an attorney.

4. Jeffrey Mark Adams

9

Answered . Try to file a report, take photos, ask mgr for a statement, report it to all insurance companies.

5. Lewis John Gazda

8

Answered . You can file your own police report by going to the nearest substation. Get an estimate for the repairs that need to be made and submit them to the apartment manager. If nothing happens or you cannot get them to resolve your claim you can either hire an attorney or file a clam in small claims court, assuming the damage is not too high. If you decide to file in small claims court the court the personnel at most courthouses will have forms they will provide that you can fill out. You may also be able to find forms on-line. However, lawyers are trained and experienced in fighting for people in situations like yours and therefore you are probably better off seeking legal assistance.

6. Gerald R Stahl

Pro

5

Answered . Mr. Klisz is correct. This is the parked vehicle exception to the Michigan No Fault Act. You submit the claim to the plow driver's insurance. Good Luck!